Monday, May 28, 2007

A rain barrel without gutters

Water is a precious resource in desert environments. Some desert creatures have adapted to live without drinking a single drop of water; some plant seeds can lie dormant for many years until the water they need for germination is available; but humans and most of our food crops depend on a regular supply of water to survive.

Some of the indigenous people of the El Paso area relied upon water that was stored in the natural rock basins in what is now Hueco Tanks State Historic Site. In modern times, some have adopted this practice through the use of rain barrels. In the desert we are fortunate that the majority of our rainfall comes during the hottest time of the year when plants most need moisture. By collecting rainwater and using it for irrigation, we can have a larger or more lush garden without the use of municipal water sources.

In our case, we do not have rain gutters, and I am not prepared to install them. There are, however, other water sources that can be collected and reused. Our house is cooled using evaporative cooling. This system draws outside air across a moistened medium which can cool the air by up to 20 degrees F. To reduce algae and mineral build up these units must be flushed periodically. The unit on my house is flushed with 15 gallons of water for every 6 hours of continuous operation. Last year I used a hose to direct this water to different areas of the landscape. This year I have decided to collect the runoff in a rain barrel and install a gravity-fed drip irrigation system from the rain barrel that will water the new vegetable garden and other food crops. Let's hope we can keep this cucumber and all its buddies happy, without using any additional city water.

8 comments:

Aiyana said...

Hi,
I'd like to capture the rain water the pours from my scuppers from our flat roof during the infrequent rainfalls. I'm always amazed at the amount of the runoff. However, our HOA won't allow collection barrels, so I'd have to install some elaborate system, which is just too much for me. Your setup on the evap cooler is interesting.
P.S. Thanks for the link. I'm adding another category to my blog which will include yours.

Matthew said...

There is the option of planting a rain garden. I know that Chitalpas for one would love the periodic flooding and they are relatively low mess, certainly less than their Desert Willow parents. I'm sure you know of several other arroyo plants that could serve this function.

AMorris said...

Scott Calhoun has some good info on his website (zonagardens.com) about how to use a culvert as a water harvesting tank. www.zonagardens.com/landscape/rainwater.asp I don't know if it'll get by the crappitysmacktacular HOA folks though.

AMorris said...

That's can be some salty stuff that comes out of the swamp cooler. We use the washing machine water on the desert stuff, but I only throw it on the veggies now and then. Check out DripWorks when you set up your system. Our community gardens program uses them and the service is great.

Andy

Anonymous said...

Hi, Matthew,

I just found your blog on the world-map directory. I look forward to reading about your gardening efforts in El Paso--so far and so different from Austin.

I was wondering two things. Did you mean to write "xeroscape" in your blog description? I've heard xeriscape referred to disparagingly as "xeroscape" sometimes, but I wasn't sure if you were using it that way. I'm a big fan of xeriscaping.

Also, have you read "Yard Full of Sun?" It's a gardening memoir by a guy in the Sonoran Desert of Arizona who creates a beautiful, organic, xeriscape garden. You might want to check it out.

See you around the blogosphere,
Pam/Digging

Matthew said...

Hi Pam,
It's an honor to have you here. I follow your blog along with the several other Austin gardeners on a regular basis. Congrats on your multiple Mouse & Trowel awards.

Zeroscape is a derisive term (certainly not original with me) short for zero landscaping. In El Paso, it is very common practice to cover the entire lot with gravel and minimal or no plantings, and this is what I had in my front and side yards when I started.

Regarding xeriscape™ vs. xeroscape, I imagine the two terms are interchangeable as the transliterated Greek word for dry is xeros.

I have not read "Yard Full of Sun", but I will certainly check it out if I come across it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Matthew,
I'm down the road from you here in Marfa. We have an active gardening community.
Do you know of an El Paso source for food grade plastic 55 gal. drums?
I collect rainwater off my metal roof and would like to add to my current storage capacity.
Nice to find your blog, and to meet a neighbor.

Matthew said...

I got my barrel from an online supplier (I don't remember which one, and I wouldn't recommend them if I did) but have since heard of a program some soft drink bottlers have of selling reduced price barrels for this purpose. I know the Coca-Cola plant in Marfa has shut down, but I think there is one in Alpine. Best of luck, and do report back if you are successful at finding anything. I may try to identify some local sources later this year, and if I do I will blog about it.