Saturday, May 19, 2007

Seed germination - Take 3



Two weeks ago I tried for a second time to direct sow squash and cucumbers into the vegetable garden. Like before I had only limited success with only one cucumber seed germinating and none of the squash. For my third attempt, I have planted seeds in peat pellet pots.

I purchased the peat pellets as part of a germination container that includes a base, a dome, and 12 pellets. Adding water to the base causes the peat pellets to swell up. Two to three seeds are then added to each pot and then covered with the top to maintain high humidity. Right now the whole contraption is located in the warm garage. If all goes as planned, after germination the cover will be removed and the baby plants will be placed in a protected location outside, and finally into their place in the garden.

Hopefully, the third time is the charm.

No comments: