Thursday, September 13, 2007

Touring in the garden blogosphere

In a comment regarding my earlier desert walk post, Pam in Austin, author of the blog Digging, asks, "Have you noticed other garden-bloggers doing this meme in their own neighborhoods?"

I have noticed a few tours, but I wasn't aware it had reached meme status. (Until a few days ago I wasn't even familiar with the word meme used in this context.) The inspiration from my desert tour post came directly from Chuck B's post involving some special brownies and a few gigabytes of photos. Kate in Utah gives us a different kind of high on a walk with Bad Dog. Twisty beat all the garden bloggers to the scene with a tour of some that is weird in Austin.

Pam encourages a trip to Outside Clyde for a tour of his rural North Carolina 'hood. That post will lead you to Kim's tour in Ohio and also to Pam's own tour. It's a great trip around the world through the eyes of fellow gardeners in a matter of minutes. I have to admit this is quite fun; it certainly isn't as good as actually being there, but it is a bunch cheaper. Remember, whether or not they tour the neighborhood, you can always find a garden blogger near (or very far away) from you via the Garden Blog Directory at Gardening Tips 'n' Ideas.

7 comments:

Christopher C. NC said...

Twisty really is out in front on a lot of things for a spinster aunt. Thanks for the reminder of her blog.

It was a nice walk in the desert too. I have always had a fondness for the desert and thought I would end up there instead of the mountains of NC.

Aiyana said...

I would love to walk around my neighborhood and take photos--but I would probably be arrested. Seems that folks think you are staking out their places for a future heist if you even stare in their property's direction!
Aiyana

kate said...

That would be fun to do sometime. I'll wait till next spring, since most of our gardens have been hit with frost, unfortunately.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Thanks for the link. Here's an opportunity: would you like to own Bad Dog? He barfed in my bedroom slipper this morning. I'll happily pay the shipping...

Matthew said...

I love animals--furry ones that slobber all over the computer screen, green-eyed ones that eat out of the garbage disposal, tabby ones that pee in the sink--I love animals. Bad Dog is beautiful.

Aiyana said...

Matthew,
Where are you? I check your blog occasionally, but there are no new posts. Have you given up on gardening?
Aiyana

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

I did 1 of those walk posts ("Walkabout") in the Fall. I think it would be great if everyone did 1 in the Spring. It's so interesting to see a garden in the context of its neighborhood.