Friday, February 1, 2008

What's a locavore?

While the Firefox spell checker does not yet recognize it, locavore was chosen as the word of the year for 2007 by the New Oxford American Dictionary. In choosing locavore as its word of the year, the Dictionary is recognizing a growing trend among environmentally conscious individuals to eat seasonal foods grown or raised near their own homes. Several testimonials of locavores have been published in recent years and I have read two of them this winter. I am of course saving plenty of time for the seed catalogs.

The first locavore account I read was Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life written by the accomplished author Barbara Kingsolver, along with her husband Steven Hopp, and her daughter Camille Kingsolver. Step one for the Hoppsolver clan was to move from the parched Sonoran desert to the verdant hills of Appalachia which are much more suited to raising and growing our conventional foodstuffs. In Appalachia, Kingsolver and company grew and raised much of their own food and sourced what they didn't grow or raise from local producers whenever possible, drastically reducing their food footprint.

Kingsolver's fellow author and friend, Gary Paul Nabhan details his decidedly different approach in Coming Home to Eat: The Pleasures and Politics of Local Foods. Unlike Kingsolver, Nabham remains in the desert and eats the traditional foodstuffs of Native American groups living within 250 miles of his Arizona home. By feasting on roasted mescal, cactus fruits and pads, tortillas made from mesquite pod flour, grasshoppers, quail, and other traditional foods, Nabham builds a strong relationship with the land that sustains him, that quite literally builds him molecule by molecule. For the Native Americans of today who are disproportionately affected by diabetes, a restoring of ancient food and cultural traditions has the added benefit of improving health.

Like Michael Pollan's book, The Omnivore's Dilemma, both of these books further convince me of the unsustainable nature of our modern agricultural system. They motivate me to consider ways in which I can reduce my food footprint. I will continue to try growing food crops on a small scale and will by the bulk of my seed from Native Seed/SEARCH, an organization co-founded by Nabhan that conserves seeds of heirloom crop varieties that are adapted to desert environments. I may also consider some of the traditional food crops of the Chihuahuan desert, but I think I'll pass on the grasshoppers for now.

5 comments:

Aiyana said...

I read Kingsolver's book and also Nabhan's (mostly because I became fascinated with the studies on Native Americans and diabetes back in the 1980s and hoped to learn more.) I have Pollan's book, just haven't got to it. The first two were great reads, but then, I've read everything by Kingsolver.
Several fellow Master Gardeners tried native tomatoes from seeds purchased from Native Seed, and they got tomatoes by the bushel all summer, with none of the usual summer problems. Every time we had a volunteer activity, those two would show up with bags of tomatoes for everyone!
Aiyana

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Ay;
Before I started loaning out books to friends I owned a complete list of Kingsolver pubs. Sadly the best books rarely find their way back home...

Just wanted to thank you for calling me out on Blotanical. I'm jealous that you live in a border town. I'm too many months away from spring planting...

-k

kate said...

Michael Pollan's book convinced me of much the same - I haven't read the Kingsolver/Hopp family book.

Anonymous said...

I read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life and it changed the way I view purchasing local food at Farmers Markets vs buying out of season foods from grocery stores.

We do spend an awful lot more than we realized for the luxury of having out-of-season foods year round and it seems such a waste of energy for this luxury.

Thank-you for highlighting the book on your blog.

Hope more people get to read it.

Anonymous said...

The Omnivore's Dilemma is great and if you enjoyed that you might also enjoy The Botany of Desire also by Pollan. Just planted potatoes in the Charamon Garden.