Friday, April 20, 2007

Planting a hill of squash

Yesterday I prepared a weedy section of the backyard that will eventually host more permanent ornamental plantings for a bed of zucchini and crookneck squash.

Squash, like melon, is typically grown in hills. This practice is beneficial because it allows the soil to warm up faster for quicker germination; it improves drainage; and better accommodates the sprawling nature of the plant. Zucchini also has a reputation for being so prolific that gardeners become as aggressive as an Amway salesman in trying to give it a way. If you know me, this is fair warning; expected harvest is in 53 days.

I prepared the soil by digging out the weeds, loosening the top 12” of soil to improve drainage, and amending the soil with two cubic feet of compost. I then shaped the soil into a hill about 18” high with about a 5’ diameter.

This morning, I completed the job by sowing four seed of each squash. After the seelings grow their second set of leaves, I will thin to the most vigorous plant of each variety.

Note to self: Next time mark the planting area so you don't have to water the entire hill.

No comments: